Celebrity and runway hair stylist Matthew Curtis regularly creates new styles and predicts the latest trends. Also working as Lead Stylist on the amazing Britain’s Next Top Model, he is definitely an obvious choice to grab some summer hair tips from.
With work featured in many high profile publications including Vogue and Elle, Matthew also styles celebrity hair and is responsible for many a TV ‘do. His beautiful boutique salon, Matthew Curtis Hair Design, is set in Stratford-Upon-Avon and offers a bespoke service.
I absolutely love the advice he offers to upcoming hair stylists, especially as it applies to anyone with a dream; “work hard, charge forwards and be willing to suffer the longevity needed with a smile and a positive attitude”.
Over to Matthew, and some of his brilliant summer holiday hair tips:
- Salt water isn’t as harsh on the hair as chlorine but it can still leave the hair and scalp feeling dry. Make sure you use a nourishing shampoo and regular masks to combat this.
- Hair colour can fade when exposed to the sun so it’s really important to protect it. Wear a hat to cover up and use a shampoo and conditioner designed to prolong the colour of your hair.
- On the flip side, the sun is also great for naturally highlighting, so if you need your colour done tie back the mane bulk of you hair leaving your roots exposed to gradually lighten in the sun!
- Carry a protective spray in your bag and spray hair intermittently throughout the day when it feels it’s getting dry or you’ve just been in the sea or pool.
- To battle frizz in the heat, spritz your brush with hairspray and brush through lengths to create a barrier without the freeze hold.